SUMMARY The Outpatient Veterinarian is responsible for ensuring high quality care for both outpatient and shelter animals, although your main duties will primarily focus on outpatient needs. This is a position with a wide range of responsibility, and takes a person who thrives in a fast-paced environment with continual interruptions during the regular work day. HSHV relies on a mission-related service foundation and offers a different experience than a privately owned facility. It helps to be a compassionate and creative thinker who likes to look for unusual solutions to both routine and exceptional issues.
We offer a competitive starting salary with an excellent benefit package including health, vision, dental, Life Insurance, supplemental coverage's, 401(k), with employer match, paid vacation and sick time, paid holidays, CE allowance, reimbursement for Liability Insurance, Professional Licenses renewals, AVMA membership dues, and more! Also a strong support staff, and a dynamic, positive work environment!
Please send resume/cover letter to email@example.com or call Nancy McComb (734) 661-3547. For more information and a complete job description, please visit our website http://www.hshv.org/ and click on the Jobs tab at the bottom of the page.
Full-time and/or relief position available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Perform outpatient appointments as scheduled, providing all aspects of veterinary care.
2. Perform high quality veterinary medicine while contributing to budgetary goals and ensuring appointment times are met. 3. Maintain compliance with federal, state and county regulatory agencies as it relates to professional medical and animal sheltering services.
4. Maintain working knowledge of current advances in the veterinary field and pursue growth in best practices, bringing any suggestions to management for policy changes due to advances or conflicts with current processes.
5. Display outstanding customer service to all clients, regardless of ability to pay, while ensuring efficient and cost effective use of all HSHV resources according to SOPs in place for special programs through the veterinary clinic.
6. Treat or otherwise assist in the disposition of wildlife received by HSHV as needed.
7. Perform other duties including but not limited to surgeries or dental procedures as scheduled.
8. Perform or coordinate any necessary treatments, surgery, and health evaluations for disposition of animals when deemed necessary for shelter animals.
9. Report any concerns or department needs to your supervisor.
10. Be available for emergency weekend phone consultations as scheduled.
11. Work cooperatively with coworkers and volunteers to ensure a smooth flow of clinic operations, and to meet the highest standards of good animal care.
12. Assist with cruelty investigations, including court appearances as necessary.
13. Assist in the educational growth of co-workers and interns.
14. Perform all other duties expected of a veterinarian and as assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES Must have a current license as a Veterinarian by the Board of Veterinary Medicine in the State of Michigan as well as hold a current Controlled Substance License by the Board of Pharmacy in the State of Michigan. Requires the ability to multi-task and work in a diverse environment. Requires good oral and written communication skills and excellent customer service. Though this position does not have direct supervisory responsibilities, the veterinarian indirectly supervises veterinarian technicians, assistants, volunteers and interns—and must be able to regularly offer praise and constructive feedback in a productive manner.
About Humane Society of Huron Valley
HSHV was founded in 1896. We are the only animal shelter in Washtenaw County that takes in all types of unwanted, injured, lost, stray, abandoned, and abused animals. HSHV has the highest "save rate" among all similar animal shelters in Michigan. The veterinarians at Humane Society of Huron Valley do it all, and with a lot of heart! They provide care for over 12,000 animals a year, both beloved family pets and homeless animals throughout Washtenaw County. These extremely talented, diversely-skilled, and experienced licensed veterinarians choose to dedicate their time to helping animals in need through their profession.
Our Veterinary Clinic provides high quality, affordable services for just about everything you need to keep your beloved companion animals healthy and happy.